Saturday, March 21, 2009

Torta con carnitas


OK, I can't say that this particular short, fat, white boy has been discriminated against too often. In fact, I have had it pretty easy thanks to great parents and family. However, I now have a minuscule taste of what it is like to be segregated. Those terms may be a bit harsh, but it had me going a few weeks ago. La Carretta's Taqueria in Tupelo is a delicious restaurant where I have enjoyed many meals. They are fast, friendly, and inexpensive. One day I was having lunch and I saw this incredible dish being served to some patrons at a different table. I asked our server where that dish was on the menu. She said it was on the Spanish menu. WHAT? A different menu for our Spanish speaking friends? Not just a translated menu, but a completely different menu. After calming down I found out that the dish is a Torta. I read up a bit on the origins of the Torta. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torta This came about from the French influence in Mexico many years ago. The locals named their breads after the shape, not what they were made from. It is basically a "Mexican po'boy". The bread is crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. La Carretta's made mine with refried beans, smashed avocado, jalapenos, carnitas, and lots of tomatoes. It was very messy, but FINE. They have chorizo, lengu, tripe, chicken, steak, or just about anything they have there.

No comments: