Monday, October 6, 2008

Birthday Weekend

Sorry no pictures, but it was a nice weekend. I got up Saturday morning and ran 7.54 miles. When I got back I was starving. I messed around and got cleaned up then made a double batch of Kelly's chili with beans. I love that stuff. We spent some time at the park enjoying the beautiful day then Heather made a batch of Osso Bucco. Always tasty. We decided we may switch to splitting one shank. It is an enormous amount of food. I got up Sunday morning and went to the woods. I have practiced my routine over and over, but when the doe presented herself, I blew it. I wish I could figure that one out. Great way to spend a morning though. It was a beautiful day. Heather and I went to the grocery to load up for the week. She asked me what I wanted for my birthday dinner and I had a craving for spaghetti. That isn't one of Heather's favorites, but I was in the mood. I got some hot Italian sausage and ground beef. I browned that up and drained it. Then I chopped an onion and a bell pepper. I had it sweating and added a few cloves of roasted garlic. While I was slicing the mushrooms, I smelled something. I turned around and had burnt the crap out of the vegetables. After cleaning the pot, chopping more vegetables and stewing in my stupidity, I started over. When the veggies were done, I added the meat, a can of tomatoes, a can of tomato sauce, basil, oregano, pepper, Chianti, and a little water. I let that simmer for about an hour an a half. Heather mixed some roasted garlic with butter and toasted some french bread slices. I spooned the ragout over some spaghetti, topped it with some shaved Parmesan, and we ate while watching Ironman. Not a bad way to spend a birthday.

No comments: