Saturday, February 21, 2009

Shrimp and grits with tasso cream gravy


Heather had been asking for shrimp and grits for a while. Since Tony's has been closed, it has been difficult to acquire good tasso. Well actually, ANY tasso. Lisa Smith followed Emeril's recipe for tasso and shared a bit with us. Ergo, Heather's requested meal. I chopped onion, celery, and tasso. Once they were sauteing I added thyme, garlic, paprika, and cayenne. Once it was softened I added a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of flour. After that was incorporated, I thinned it with shrimp stock that I made from the shells and some aromatics. Once it was the right consistency, I added some cream and removed it from the heat. Tonight I made the grits with Monterrey Jack. It kept it looking creamy. This was just a little spicy. I should have added some hot sauce at the end, but I was already multitasking too much to make any deviations.

No comments: