Sunday, February 8, 2009

English pot roast, potatoes, and peas


Kroger had an English roast on sale. I wasn't sure what to do with it, but I gave it a shot. I chopped some bacon and rendered it in the dutch oven. I seasoned the roast with salt and pepper, then gave it a light dusting of flour. I browned it on all sides and removed it. I sweated some onion, carrots, thyme, and celery, then added beef stock, a can of diced tomatoes, and about a cup of Chianti. I braised it in the oven for about 2 hours. It was still quite tough so I got it out and let it rest while I took the aromatics out. I made a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce. I then took out the electric knife and sliced the beef as thin as I could. The gravy was so good I didn't want to waste any so I put two slices of french bread on the plate and covered them up with beef and gravy. It was a lot of food for a $4 roast.

No comments: