Sunday, February 15, 2009

2004 Bolla Amarone della Valpolicella


Although this was the wine we enjoyed for our Valentine's dinner, this wine was special enough to have it's own entry. We were first introduced to Amarone at the Portabella Yacht Club in Orlando. We ordered our ususal bottle of Chianti and the sommelier suggested we try an Amarone. It was one of the highlights of the trip. Since then, Heather has graciously tempted me with different Amarones. She acquired a 1999 Bertani for my birthday 2 years ago. This Bolla was a Christmas present. I wanted to share it with her so I could not think of a better time than Valentine's day. If I were to narrow it down to one word to describe it, I think I would use the term "Intense". Big fruit early, with a dry spicy finish. Read more about this style here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amarone

No comments: