Sunday, August 23, 2009

Pork tenderloin with chipotle sweet potatoes and cabbage

I know this doesn't sound like a harmonious trio, but it was what I had that night.

I started by taking 1/4 olive oil, 1 Tbl of fresh rosemary from the backyard, 2 tsp of fresh thyme, and 2 crushed and minced garlic cloves. I minced the herbs and made a paste out of all the seasonings. I coated the loins in the paste and set it aside. Ideally, it needs to rest about an hour to really infuse the herbs.

I thinly shredded half of a head of cabbage and half an onion. I set those aside. When the cabbage is that thin, it doesn't take long to cook. Once the pork was on the grill, I sauteed the onion for 2 minutes in our dutch oven, then added the cabbage. I then put about 2 ounces of beer I was drinking at the time and put the lid on. It takes about a total of 6 minutes to be perfect.

I made chipotle sweet potatoes because they are one of Heather's favorites. I love her so I made them. It is just coincidence that I love chipotle sweet potatoes as well. I strongly encourage you to try this. Take 2 sweet potatoes, peel and cube them. Put them in a steamer for 20 minutes. Take 4 Tbls of butter, salt, pepper, and chipotle in adobo. Be careful though. The first time I made this they were hotter than Heather's hot wings. Chipotle is readily available now since we are becoming a very hispanic country. If you have the chipotles in adobo in the can, use 1 pepper and about 2 tsp of the sauce. If you have just the chipotle sauce in the can, use about 1 Tbl. Either is fine. When the taters are done, put in a bowl with the butter, seasonings, and adobo and mash with a potato masher. Simple, cheap and easy.

I grilled the tenderloins on a very hot grill for about 9 minutes. The first time you try this, use a thermometer and cook the thickest part to about 145. I use the feel technique. I have made this so many times I feel the tenderloin till it feels right.

This is the end result.

No comments: